Irish Beer Cheese Sauce
- Skill Level: Easy
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Chill Time: N/A
- Serving Size: ¼ cup/60 ml
- Yield: About 4 cups/950 ml
- 6 tablespoons/90 ml MagicalButter
- 1 bottle (11.2 ounce/330 ml) Irish ale (e.g., Smithwick’s, Guinness Blonde)
- 1 cup/240 ml Half & Half
- 8 ounces/230 g sharp Irish cheddar cheese, shredded (e.g., Kerrygold)
- 8 ounces/230 g Gruyère cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons/45 ml flour
- 3 tablespoons/45 ml hot sauce (e.g., Louisiana or Sriracha)
- 1 tablespoon/15 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon/15 ml mustard (Dijon, strong Irish, or whole-grain)
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan on medium-high heat, melt the butter, then add onion, salt and pepper and cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in the flour and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the beer and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Begin to add the half & half ⅓ at a time and stirring constantly.
- Slowly whisk the cheese into the sauce until everything is completely combined.
- Finish by adding the hot sauce, mustard and worcestershire sauce, stir until all of the ingredients are combined, pour into serving vessel and serve.