Magical Split Pea Soup
- Skill Level: Easy
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Chill Time: n/a
- Serving Size: 1 cup/ 240 ml
- Yield: about 6 cups
- ½ cup/120 ml MagicalButter
- 6 cups/1440 ml homemade chicken broth
- 1 pound/450 g organic split peas
- 4-6 smoked turkey wing drumettes
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- Pink Himalayan salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot on medium-high heat, bring the stock and the turkey wings to a boil. Cover the pot, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Take the pot off the heat, and remove the wings.
- Strip the turkey meat from the wings, setting it aside for later, and transfer the broth into a holding container.
- Return the pot to heat, and melt the butter in it; then add the onion, carrot, salt, and pepper, and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add the broth, peas, and bay leaf, and stir thoroughly.
- Reduce the heat to low, season the soup with salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for 45-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour your Magical Split Pea Soup into a serving bowl, top with the turkey meat, and serve. This is so richly satisfying…the definition of comfort on a cold day!