Herbal Insect Repellent
Topicals & Salves
- 2 cups/475 ml castor oil
- 1 cup.240 ml witch hazel oil
- ½ cup/120 ml rubbing alcohol
- 3⅓ tablespoons/50 ml citronella oil
- 3 tablespoons/45 ml lemongrass oil
- 1 tablespoon/15 ml peppermint oil
- 2 teaspoons/10 ml rosemary oil
- 2 teaspoons/10 ml cedar leaf oil
- 2 teaspoons/10 ml clove oil
- 2 teaspoons/10 ml lavender oil
- Place all ingredients into your MagicalButter machine and secure the head.
- Press the Temperature button and select 160ºF/71°C; then press the 1 Hour/Oil button.
- Sterilize containers of your choice by boiling them for 5-10 minutes.
- When the cycle is completed pour the oil into a large container.
- Let the infused oil cool completely before placing the final product into your sterilized containers and closing them.
Refrigeration of Herbal Insect Repellent is not necessary. The final product has a more substantial consistency than the water-based mist spray of most store-bought products. Apply a small amount to exposed skin for effective protection. If you are expecting to be outdoors for an extended period of time, apply the repellent every two hours. As a mother, I question everything my kids eat, drink, and put on their bodies. I research countless products, reading every ingredient on the label. As soon as I encounter long chemical names that are nearly impossible to pronounce, I don’t feel comfortable making the purchase. It has prompted me to do more research, and finally to formulate an all-natural, chemical-free, herbal insect repellent. Our recipe really bugs the bugs—with the scent they resent, and the strength to last and keep pests away! Happy mom, happy life, happy household!