Witch's Brew Candy Apples
Holiday and Seasonal
2 Cups MagicalButter Cannasugar
- 3/4 Cup water (not tap)
- 2/3 Cup Light Corn Syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- Lollipop or popsicle sticks
- Equipment: candy thermometer
- Wash and thoroughly dry the apples. Insert the lollipop sticks or popsicle sticks so that they are firmly positioned in the apples. Set the apples aside on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.
- Combine the sugar corn syrup and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring it to a boil and cook the mixture until your candy thermometer reaches 300ºF. This is known as the hard crack stage.
- Remove the candy mixture from the heat and carefully stir in the black food coloring. Your sugar may bubble up and splash so use caution! The recipe used 1/2 teaspoon of food coloring but you may need more to reach your desired color.
- One by one carefully dip the apples into the candy mixture swirling to coat them thoroughly and allowing any excess to drip back into the pan. Transfer the coated apples to the prepared cookie sheet and allow them to cool until the candy has fully hardened. Once your sugar hardens you may find it easier to slice the apple before biting. Enjoy!
Apples often come with a waxy coating, which will prevent the candy from sticking to the surface. To remove the wax, simply boil 6 cups water with 1 tablespoon white vinegar. Quickly dip the apples in the boiling mixture for 5 seconds then thoroughly dry them. The candy will stick in an instant! If the candy mixture gets too hard during the dipping process, simply re-heat it over medium heat and continue coating the apples.