Key Lime in da Coconut Cupcakes
- Skill Level: Medium
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes
- Chill Time: N/A
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Yield: N/A
- 3 cups/700 ml flour
- 2½ cups/600 ml sugar, partitioned into 2 cups/480 ml and ½ cup/120 ml
- ½ pound/225 g (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room-temperature
- ¾ cup/180 ml buttermilk, room-temperature
- ⅓ cup/80 ml grated key lime zest (6-8 large limes)
- ¼ cup/60 ml freshly squeezed key lime juice (or Nellie & Joe’s Key West Lime Juice)
- 4 extra-large eggs, room-temperature
- 2 Kaffir Lime leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon/5 ml kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon/5 ml pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon/2½ ml baking powder
- ½ teaspoon/2½ ml baking soda
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF/180°C.
- Grease and flour your cupcake or mini-cupcake pans.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, whip the butter and 2 cups/480 ml of granulated sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and the key lime zest.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine ¼ cup/60 ml of key lime juice, the buttermilk, and the vanilla.
- Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Transfer the batter into your cupcake pans, and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a test toothpick comes out clean from the middle of the cake. Remove your Key Lime in da Coconut Cupcakes from the oven, let them cool completely, and enjoy!