Magical Homemade Pasta
Rated 3.3 stars by 8 users
- In a small bowl fork-beat the eggs egg yolk olive oil salt and 1 tablespoon/15 ml of water; set it aside for step 3.
- Flour a clean dry work surface.
- Make a hole in the center of the flour pile large enough to contain the egg mixture––about 8 inches/20 cm—and slowly introduce the mix into the hole.
- Start to incorporate the flour into the egg mixture.Try not to break the sides of the flour “well” to prevent the egg mixture from spilling and making a big mess. Don’t worry about lumps.
- Once everything is well mixed use your hands to begin kneading the dough. If it is tight and dry wet your hands and resume kneading.
- Continue to knead the dough until it is has a smooth velvety feel. This should take about 8-15 minutes. If the dough is too dry add a few drops of water; if too wet add a little flour. Adding very small amounts is the key.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and let it relax for at least 1 hour. Do not refrigerate it if you are using it immediately.
- Cut and roll your Homemade Magical Pasta into the desired shape.
- Chef’s Notes: I roll my pasta with a pasta-making machine using the largest setting. I fold and re-roll it on this setting 4 times before I start rolling it on the next thinner setting. I do at least 4 or 5 step-downs when rolling out pasta ending with the thinnest setting. Use a little flour on the pasta sheets when you’re finished rolling just before you cut them into your desired shape: fettuccine ravioli capellini (angel hair) etc. To prevent sticking dust with a little more flour after your pasta has been cut.