Yule Log Cake
Rated 5.0 stars by 1 users
Holiday and Seasonal
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- In medium bowl beat cocoa and butter on low speed until thoroughly mixed.
- Beat in powdered sugar until mixed. Beat in vanilla and enough of the hot water until frosting is smooth and spreadable.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 15x10x1 inch pan with foil or waxed paper; grease with shortening or cooking spray
- In small bowl beat eggs with electric mixer on high speed for about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon colored.
- Pour eggs into bowl; gradually beat in 1 cup granulated sugar. Beat in 1/3 cup water and the vanilla on low speed. Gradually add flour baking powder and salt beating just until batter is smooth. Pour into pan spreading batter to corners.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately loosen cake from the edges of the pan; invert onto towel that has been generously sprinkled with powdered sugar. Carefully remove foil. Trim off stiff edges of cake if necessary. While hot carefully roll cake and towel from narrow end. Cool on cooling rack for at least 30 minutes.
- In chilled medium bowl beat all filling ingredients on high speed until stiff. Unroll cake; remove towel. spread filling over cake and then roll up cake.
- For tree stump cut off a 2-inch diagonal slice from one end of the cake. Attach stump to one long side using 1 tablespoon frosting.
- Frost cake with remaining frosting. With tines of fork make stroke in frosting to look like tree bark. Garish with nuts.